Fried Green Tomatoes & Squash Blossoms (Gluten-free)27 Jul 2016, by Healthy Recipes in
For up to 10 squash blossoms and 2 to 4 small green tomatoes
1. Combine in a small mixing bowl:
- 2 tablespoons of white rice flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon of potato starch
- 1 tablespoon of tapioca flour
- 1 pinch of xanthan gum
- 1/4 tablespoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tablespoons of cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice
The batter may have a slightly metallic, vinegary and somewhat unpleasant smell.
2. Chill the batter in the fridge for one hour .
3. Prepare the stuffing (if desired).
If you don’t mind the lactose aspect, dice one jalapeno and mixe it to about 1/4 cup of ricotta cheese.
4. Prepare the blossoms and tomatoes.
- Don’t wash the squash blossoms, all you need to do is shake them out and make sure they are bug-free.
- Slice the tomatoes as thinly as desired. Slices should be between 1/4- and 1/2-inch.
5. Take out the chilled batter, stir it up again to make sure all ingredients are well-incorporated.
- Dip the blossoms one at a time then stuff with your mixture.
- When stuffing the blossoms, tying the ends with a 5” cooking twine may help.
In a medium sauce pan, add approximately 3/4-inch of oil in the bottom. Vegetable, canola or safflower. Avoid olive oil.
Heat up the oil over medium heat while checking to see if it’s ready by dipping the a wooden spoon handle in it. When bubbles form: it’s ready.
7. With a slotted spoon, add battered blossoms, two at a time . The blossoms will cook fast so keep an eye on them. Once they’re browned at the edges, turn them over. Fry the battered tomatoes 6 slices at a time: they’ll fit nicely without overlapping.
8. Remove the cooked blossoms/tomatoes, place on a plate lined with clean kitchen cloth or paper towel in order to absorb the excess oil.
9. Serve with cilantro mayonnaise. (half a cup of regular store mayo, add to that 3 tablespoons of minced cilantro and 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice. Home made mayo with an egg yolk and oil also nicely complements this recipe.